Another week and another great Habit 5 example has come up in the co-mindfulness course I'm taking online. How many of us bring expectations to our conversations? Our minds are already racing with what we THINK we're going to hear that we actually don't listen. Rather, we're already formulating our response, beefing up our defense, and maybe even getting irrationally and unnecessarily flustered or angry!

Have you ever brought expectations to a conversation that led you and your response astray? Did you get called out on it? "You didn't even hear what I said! You were just waiting for your turn to speak!" Do people often ask you, "Will you PLEASE let me finish before you say something?" Take those as signs to re-evaluate your listening skills. Maybe even get out those skills cards from your Level 1 class and read through them.

Here is a great example of why you should let go of your expectations when you are in conversation and really settle in and LISTEN to what's being said. Further, it's a great example of why you should let someone finish what they're saying before you respond...and maybe even take a deep breath before responding so the words you heard have an extra second to process in your brain. (Pardon the strong language from the movie in the clip.)

After you've watched the example, if you feel comfortable doing so, please share some thoughts in this post.